Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Today was our first day on the wheel. On my first attempt I managed to have the clay fly off the wheel, then the pot it was uneven because I kept moving my hands too quickly and at the end when we were cutting excess off the side, I choped the whole thing in half.
My second attempt came out better - obviously with the teachers assistance.
As I was building this (row by row) I really didn't have an idea in mind of what I wanted to make. At the end, the top was a bit floppy, so I ended up pulling some of it in. Out of all of the techniquies we practiced in the class, I think coil building was my least favorite. I didn't like the unevenness of building with coils (we made them all by hand) and the coils are a pain to smooth out!
Sunday, May 22, 2011
Sunday, May 15, 2011
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Since this was our first time glazing, we had to use three different glazes to see what happened when the glazes worked together. None of my glazes seem to change too much when overlapped, but there is a spot of brown that got on the 'raspberry' section of it that ended up turning gold (it is very odd how glazes combine after being heated sometimes). The purple (the middle color) and the raspberry were both thicker glazes- I prefer the denim blue glaze, because it came out thinner after firing and you get to see the actual texture of the piece better. If you're interested to see the unglazed piece it is here.