Monday, February 11, 2013

Glitter Colored Domed Glass Magnets Tutorial


I have a couple of magnetic boards in my house (one in my craft room and two over the desk in my kitchen) and I am always looking for different magnets to use on them.  I had a couple of bags of flat bottom glass marbles and a ton of old magazines laying around so I decided to make my own magnets.  Here's what I did:





Glitter Colored Domed Glass Magnets Tutorial:
Supplies:

  • Flat bottom glass marbles
  • Old magazines, old kids books, scrapbook paper or any other printed paper
  • Glue gun and Glitter glue sticks (if you dont have a glue gun, you could do this with Mod Podge and loose glitter, but I find it easier to use the glue sticks with the glitter already built in- one less step)
  • Magnets smaller than the size of the flat bottom marbles you're using
  • Scissors

Directions:
  1. Heat up your glue gun- put a glitter glue stick inside.
  2. Trace the outside of the flat bottom glass marble on the paper you want to make the marble out of. I've found that they are all a little different in shape so I trace each individually. If yours are more uniform then trace another piece of paper/thin cardboard to make a template that you can use instead.
  3. Cut out the backing just inside the line.
  4. Optional: If you would like to add any embellishments (like a cut out letter on top of the background) glue them (regular craft glue) to the top of the cut out paper now.
  5. Put a dab of the glitter glue on the flat side of the glass marble. Attach the paper to the back of the marble (making sure to press from the inside out).
  6. Once the glue has dried, add another dab of glue to the back of the paper and attach your magnet.
  7. Enjoy your new magnet!

No comments:

Post a Comment